10.11.11

Street art ... again.

During the 1990’s, the shop owners in Rue Cavalotti – on the fringes of Montmartre - decided to make something to hopefully escape from tagging on their front stores. They asked some urban artists to make illustrations, inspired by some famous painters.

I made a post about it in June 2007 … and another one in September 2007, where we could see that in the meantime the taggers had destroyed most of the efforts.












Now, supported by some official (including the mayoralty of 18th arrondissement) and private initiatives, the stores have been cleaned and decorated in a different way, inspired by posters for the nearby music halls, theatres, cinemas…, as they were a century or a few decades ago. (A few of them remain.) The “inauguration” took place mid-October. Hopefully the taggers will pay a bit more respect to this effort.
Another sign that urban artists are getting some official support took place end October. Again supported by among others the local mayoralty (11th arrondissement), some urban artists had decorated a number of front stores on Rue de la Folie Méricourt and the Mayor invited some urban art fans – like me - to an official “opening”. This was a normal week day and of course the stores were temporarily closed just for a demonstration. To see them, you should rather come back late in the evening or a Sunday. Some of the artists were present and posed in front of the stores … and it all ended by a nice gathering around some wine and small things to eat … and with an official nice and optimistic inauguration speech by the Mayor (also MP).



 

26 comments:

Olivier said...

une superbe serie, de quoi faire une belle exposition de Street Art dans un musée

Suzane Weck said...

SEMPRE SEGUINDO E CADA VEZ GOSTANDO MAIS.GRANDE ABRAÇO.

Owen said...

The never-ending, seemingly infinite, visual treasures of Paris. Open and available to anyone willing to walk, and walk, and walk some more. Comfortable walking shoes a requirement.

Good to see that artists can find some work doing what they love...

I'm thinking you are going to get hired as a reporter sooner or later for a travel section in a newspaper somewhere. I'm sure you are inspiring more than one or two to come to Paris and seek out some of the sights you are revealing...

Studio at the Farm said...

I love the street art, too, Peter. Thank you for posting the story and photos.

Virginia said...

Well I"ll spare everyone my rant about taggers. I'm sure you're relieved as well Peter as you've heard it more than once. I'd like to think this will keep them at bay and hopefully it will. I especially liked the old posters in the top photos.

And Owen's right you know. Why your blog has persuaded me to return to Paris over and over! ( Easy sell wasn't it!) :)
V

Shionge said...

The colours...so vibrant....I love it :)

French Girl in Seattle said...

Hey, Owen is right. You should be working as a reporter, Peter. You inspire foreigners and French natives alike. A rare gift ;-) I will be sure to visit la rue de la Folie Mericourt next time I am in Paris. I don't think taggers will be back. They would be afraid to bump into Virginia! Veronique (French Girl in Seattle)

SusuPetal said...

Thanks for the photos of your journey. I've been looking and enjoying them at YouTube. A trip I'd like to make some day!

Street art is the best kind of art, I believe. It can be seen to everyone, it's equal art.

Alain said...

Des oeuvres difficiles à protéger, mais la nature même du street art c'est d'être éphémère.

claude said...

Il y a de tout là-dedans. Effectivement c'est une belle série.
Il y a des choses qui me plaisent et d'autres moins.

hpy said...

Je suis aussi ringarde que Claude...

Synne said...

I love posts like this! There is so much to street art if one does not just dismiss it as juvenile, but bothers to take a proper look!

Bettina said...

Thank you for taking us through the streets of Paris.
I think this is a great project.

Thérèse said...

Quelle profusion!
Il y a en effet de tous les genres.
Good walking shoes are a must!

Maria O. Russell said...

I like most of the paintings.

My favorite is in photo #2, the one on the left side that looks like a Flemish(?)masterpiece!

All the paintings in photo #5 are delicious!

I´m reverential to all those artist who worked there just "por amor al arte"

Fantastic post, Peter.

Mil gracias.

Starman said...

It must be nice to be a celebrity!

Pierre BOYER said...

Superbe...

Pierre

travel bloger said...

excellent overview
Happy New Year.

Simony said...

I thought it was very beautiful the art from 2007 and the ones now, but I have no love or respect for the taggers. Taggers only bring visual pollution.

Rakesh Vanamali said...

Very interesting and colourful, as always!

Cezar and Léia said...

ahhh I love this kind of art!
The lady in "red"is so charming!
great reportage!
Léia

Paris Paul said...

What great shots. The only way to make this kind of grass roots, urban renewal look even better is for Peter to "picture" it!

Catherine said...

these are quite lovely - I hope they don't get destroyed by taggers...

Dianne said...

Ah! I love this style of street art Peter and hopefully it won't be ruined by taggers.

Nathalie H.D. said...

J'espère vraiment que ces merveilles ne seront pas englouties par d'horribles gribouillis. Je croise les doigts !

Adam said...

I can't help feeling that the more this kind of initiative is 'recognised' by the local authorities, the more it will be subject to tagging. Street art should be - in my opinion - subversive and temporary. Long-term creations become simple decoration in my eyes.

That said, they all look very nice here, and it's great that you're invited to all the 'openings'!